According to dictionary.com gratitude is defined as. This week those of us in the US celebrated the holiday of Thanksgiving, the origins of which date back to the time of the early settlers. After months of hardship and loss those early English transplants gave thanks to their Creator for the blessings bestowed upon them. Pausing daily to reflect upon the things I am thankful to God for is my opportunity to see his hand in the small things of life. My list this week, in no particular order of importance:
- Family. The fact that we all like one another and enjoy spending time together is reason to give thanks—not all families can make this same claim.
- Music. Fills the air with sound.
- The smell of dinner simmering on the stove top on a cool fall evening.
- My husband. The perfect mate. A man who loves me no matter what. A man who’s company I enjoy.
- Books. Print, audible, digital doesn’t matter. The words flowing across the page creating a story. Amazing images with words.
- A good beer. Yep that’s right-beer is on my list. I enjoy experiencing the different flavors that can be used to enhance a beer.
- The new farm that I have bought shares of. I am so thankful for the hard work of the individuals who farm the organic produce that I have the privilege purchase.
- Walking in the woods with my husband and dog. Enjoying the peace that a late fall day brings as the footstep crunches the leaves below the boot.
- The smell of fresh linen on the bed as I climb beneath the sheets at the end of a long day.
I hope that you take a few minutes of your day/week to celebrate the perfect gifts you have received from the hands of the Creator.